Thursday, May 10, 2007

First dinner and then a night out on the town

This blog entry is dedicated to my friend, Ellie. She is the one person that I know that reads these religiously! She is the only one too, that is always nagging me to put up new ones. So here it is; almost a full month since my last one.

The other night I attended a potluck at my friend Connie’s house. It was a small quaint party. The funny thing though, each and every one there was in Biological Sciences (with the exception of one person, Doug (Connie’s younger brother. He is in the military) and our conversations, whether one-on-one or as a group, always drifted towards school, field work, or individual study species. Now, we had some stimulating conversations on these subjects, but over time, they can get boring and repetitive. The thing is, we immerse ourselves in school and biology, so we end up talking about it. These subjects contain our passions, our drives, our life, so you can see why we always seem to address them in our conversations. I don’t like Politics, so why would I talk about it.

Towards the end of the potluck, we were starting to wonder what was next. I was thinking of going home since it was after 10:00 pm (I think) and I was exhausted (I had been up since 5:00 am), but others wanted to take the party to a local pub or bar. I knew that everybody else wanted to so I sucked it up and went with them. My motive was simple; maybe in the future they would refrain from calling me a party pooper (which I am not. I can be the life of the party ;) Especially since Connie seems to think that I always go home and tuck myself in by 10:00 pm. This isn’t always true. It just happens that in the past when I have hung out with Connie, I have never lasted until 6:00 am in the morning with her. She likes to stay out ALL night and morning. I will admit, I like to watch a movie or two until midnight (on a weekend), rather than gallivanting all over the city, staying up until > 4:00 am. When I do this, I am so tired the next day I become incoherent and sluggish, wasting my day. I really wish people would stop saying that I never go out or stay out late, especially since they don’t share the same life style as me. I prefer going out for a few drinks or shoot a game of pool and then head home at a decent hour. Yes I do like to stay out late (occasionally), but when I want to, not when someone else pushes me to.

That same night, Mika and I got to meet Connie’s brother, Doug (the guy in the military). He seemed like a nice guy. With that said, he took a liking to Mika the moment he laid eyes on her. I can just picture it. He probably looked like the Warner Brothers cartoon wolf when he sees a hot girl – eyes come out of his head and he starts slobbering and howling! Throughout the night he would make conversation with her (that was DIRECTED at her and not others) and then at O’Byrne’s, he was being hunted by an older woman (~35), so instead of telling her he wasn’t interested he asked Mika to pretend that they were an item. He had a lot of fun holding her hand and being close to her. And what I understand from Mika, she too had fun. At the end of the night they parted ways, but we had a sneaking suspicion that he would be contacting Mika in the near future. That suspicion has now been proven, he emailed her yesterday!!! Score one for Mika.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home