Thursday, April 05, 2007

Computer Communication

You know, I sometimes hate all these modern internet writing communications, such as MSN and Facebook. I am not including Blogger or Myspace in this rant because they are forms of internet journals; not quick back and forth communication devices. MSN and Facebook are impersonal, a waste of time (or a way to procrastinate) and they are negatively affecting our writing skills. People are starting to rely on myriad abbreviations (lol-laugh out loud, ttyl-talk to you later, omg-oh my gosh, etc.) in their internet chat. The worst thing of all is that I have even heard people use these abbreviations in oral communications. Plus, due to the short, abrupt messages, it is really hard to understand sarcasm and emotions via MSN and Facebook; especially without the help of body language.

I will admit that I use two of these internet communications, but only as a way to quickly communicate with someone. For instances, if I need a coffee break I simple MSN Ellie, Mika, or someone else, requesting their company to Tim Hortons. I also use it to ask quick questions, instead of going up or down the stairs to a friend’s office or say a quick hi to family members in Ontario. But I will not carry on a four hour conversation with these people. I do not talk for hours on MSN because there is only so much you can say and read before you are bored; I use the phone (if my family/friends ever pick up or return my phone call; in which, half the time they don’t). Yes I can see people using these devices as a way to save money, but honestly, how much do you save?

Recently, I have been trying to get a hold of a friend in Ontario. I have tried phoning her but she never calls me back. I have tried sending her messages via Facebook, but she replies to everyone else but me. Lately I could really talk to her, however she is unreachable. I shouldn’t take this lake of communication response to heart because I do not know the whole story. But for some reason I am! I cannot stop thinking that I have upset her for some God forsaken reason. Darn-it, why is she not calling me? I strongly dislike these modern internet communications, yet I use them everyday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home