Monday, May 21, 2007

What next?

Everyone stresses about their future. If someone has everything already (the perfect life that they set out to get when they were 10 years old), they are scared that life will never give them anymore surprises. Or there’s the person that doesn’t have it all, and is seeking the perfect life (or some kind of fulfillment). Some people seek adventure; welcoming surprises. And then the opposite, some people thrive off of routine and organization. Which are you?

I am an individual that fits more into the latter than the former. But this does not satisfy me. I want to be able to do anything without worrying. I am a 26 year old grad student that is about to finish her M.Sc degree in Environmental Biology and Ecology (this December, hopefully). The thing that has been on my mind lately is probably the most common thought that crosses the mind of a graduate (or pre-graduate): What shall I do next?

I thought that I may stay in Edmonton and find work due the surplus of jobs here (particularly Environmental Consulting jobs). Ellie has expressed her opinion on this. Let us just say she doesn’t like this idea and I believe she thinks that I should explore other options. I think I may agree with her now. Why settle in Edmonton when this may be my only chance to see the world and show the world my passion and desire to work on amphibian management conservation issues.

Originally, I was thinking that I would travel Australia (also visiting New Zealand and Tasmania) for no less then three months before I start my life in a management/conservation career. But then I got thinking, I don’t have anything tying me down here. I am single and free to do anything and go anywhere; I have no commitments. So, I am now thinking about moving to Australia indefinitely. This scares me and excites me at the same time. Could I just pack up some cloths and move to a different continent? Could I leave my friends and family? Well, I would miss them, but would they miss me? I could definitely do this, and in fact, if everything works out, I WILL. Australia here I come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home