Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Stop drop and roll

When I was growing up, one is taught to evacuate a burning building. However, after talking to a friend I found out that this is not always true. Recently a friend was working in a retirement home when the roof of the building caught on fire. Since the fire was contained in a sector of the building, management decided NOT to evacuate. One room (containing my friend and 100 residents) was actually barricaded shut. This was done to prohibit residents from venturing into the burning building. This is nuts, insane, ridicules, loony. No one should have to stay in a burning building. Due to the lack of communication and evacuation actions, my friend and everybody thought they were going to die. An untimely 12 hours later, the fire department decided that if they don’t evacuate, the fire will encompass the room, devouring them all. Therefore a wall was removed, providing an escape route. In the end everyone was safe; however residents have been hallucinating, thinking that they are still in the burning building. I don’t know about anyone else, but I believe my friend and the residents should sue!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home